Day Three, Monday, July 13:
(All times are Brisbane local time)
I am participating in the July 2015 Trees of Reverie Read-a-thon. This is the Day 3 Challenge post.
Challenge: Book Playlist
I take playlists really seriously. I prefer a playlist you can put on and leave in the background for hours; most of my playlists range from 3 to 12 hours. I love sitting down to spend a couple hours combing through music to find a list that works well together, conveys the feeling of the book/ship/show/concept/etc. that the list is dedicated to.
For this challenge, I picked An Extraordinary Theory of Objects by Stephanie LaCava. It’s one of my favorite books, and I first read it last June/July for my Intro to Non-Fiction Writing class. I didn’t expect to like it at first, but I ended up really loving it. This playlist was put together a bit hastily, so it’s not at all my best, but I think that’s alright — it actually works to convey the oddness and disjointedness of the book better. It clocks in at 3 hours, 3 minutes.
Here’s the list:
- Wild Child by Enya
- Strange by Tokio Hotel & Kerli
- A La Claire Fontaine by Les Petits Minous
- Caledonia by Celtic Woman
- Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap
- Boadicea by Enya
- Pompeii by Bastille
- Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
- She Moved Thru the Fair by Celtic Woman
- Flora’s Secret by Enya
- Her Name is Alice by Shinedown
- Out In the Rain by Steam Powered Giraffe
- Bohemian Like You by The Dandy Warhols
- Piazza, New York Catcher by Belle & Sebastian
- Bad Blood by Bastille
- Desperate Measures by Marianas Trench
- Underwater by MIKA
- Papaoutai by Stromae
- Skyfall (Cover) by 007 Collective
- Alice by Avril Lavigne
- Honeybee by Steam Powered Giraffe
- Venus As a Boy by Björk
- Ribcage by Mary Lambert, feat. Angel Haze & K. Flay
- Après Moi by Regina Spektor
- We Are Young [Acoustic] by Fun., feat. Janelle Monae
- Losing Your Memory by Ryan Star
- Alice’s Theme by Danny Elfman (Soundtrack: Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland)
- Shalott by Emilie Autumn
- Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Rey
- Mirrors (Cover) by Sam Tsui
- A Thousand Years by Christina Perri
- You by Seinabo Sey
- Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
- Sugar, We’re Going Down by Fall Out Boy
- Find Me When You Wake Up by Christophe Beck (Soundtrack: Edge of Tomorrow)
- Heavy In Your Arms by Florence + the Machine
- Hope There’s Someone by Antony & the Johnsons
- The Poison by the All-American Rejects
- The Sun by Maroon 5
- Non, je ne regrette rien by Edith Piaf
- Life for Rent by Dido
- Gravity by Vienna Teng
- So Nice So Smart by Kimya Dawson
- This Heart by Mary Lambert
- Sunday Morning by Maroon 5
- Shake It Off (Instrumental Piano Cover) by Cover da’ Famous
- Sight of the Sun by Fun.
You can listen to it on Spotify.
Still lagging on reading, since I’ve been doing a bunch of other things, like scheduling and planning and organizing and updating, and now I’ve spent two hours making a playlist. Below are my totals so far, and I’m gonna go read more now.
- The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion (Current page: 160 of 227; net change: 48 pages)
- Supernatural: John Winchester’s Journal by Alex Irvine (Current page: 174 of 217; net change: 16 pages)
- The Jewish Study Bible by Adele Berlin and Marc Zvi Brettler (Eds.) (Current page: 343 of 2181; net change: 9 pages) Note: not originally listed, not technically being read for the challenge, but the challenge dates encompass two weeks of parshot (readings), and so those will be included in my page count.
Net change for all books read so far: 73 pages
To see all Read-a-thon posts, go here.